Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Exercise Balls as Chairs

Exercise Balls
By: Bailey

This year we have colorful exercise balls instead of chairs! We traded in half of our chairs for red exercise
balls. The benefits of using the exercise balls are to improve posture, promote learning through movement, improve balance and coordination and allows for “active” sitting. Here are some of the rules for the ball sitting- (if you break any of these rules you get a chair for the rest of the day.)
  1. Need to have feet stable on floor
  2. You can’t bounce really high on it
  3. No hitting ball with hands
  4. use it like a chair
  5. not a transportation method


Our classroom also has a procedure for getting a ball for the day. On their desks there is a number, if the last digit ends in a even number then you get a ball on a even day.

If the last digit on your name tag ends in a odd number then you get a ball on a odd day.  It’s a lot of fun to sit on the ball! I believe the exercise balls will be the future sitting style of all classrooms!

Teacher Note: The inital 12 exercise balls were purchased through a grant through our PTO. Students had the opportunity to use them every other day. Students who wanted to use one every day were able to supply their own.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bailey, It was fun to read your post on the "Exercise Balls". Watching you guys work while sitting on the Exercise Balls has encouraged me to buy one and use in my work area at home. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the story of your classroom "chairs", Bailey. I may have to get an exercise ball for my office. I'm sure it would help me stay focused.
    Mr. Posick

    ReplyDelete